WHO WE ARE
The Maldon Riverside Association was established in April 1988 with the idea of protecting the Maldon riverside in the interest of local residents and all people who care for Maldon and its’ riverside. The association currently has over 200 members and continuously welcomes new members.
WHAT WE DO
The Maldon riverside lies within the Blackwater Estuary which is the largest estuary in Essex and one of the largest estuaries in East Anglia. The association focuses on the two main areas of protection - The natural environment and the architectural heritage of the Maldon riverside. The Blackwater Estuary is home to hundreds of thousands of wetland birds that live and migrate to the tidal mudflats and saltmarshes. This landscape character combined with boatbuilding and industrial heritage of Maldon create the riverside so much loved by locals and visitors alike.
THE MAIN ACTIVITIES OF THE MALDON RIVERSIDE ASSOCIATION
- To provide a voice for the membership in discussions of proposals concerning the riverside area.
- To engage the riverside community in commenting on planning applications relevant to the riverside.
- To resist to any proposals which might diminish the amenities already existing in the area or which might pollute the environment.
- To maintain a working relationship with the Maldon District Council.
- To liaise with other related groups.
- By amicable negotiation to reconcile conflicting interests and help the parties, where possible, to avoid confrontation.
- The association has been publishing newsletters since its very beginnings which are packed with local news and discussion on local issues.